Along with the watchOS 2 and OS X El Capitan betas, Apple also released a new beta version of iOS 9 to the registered developers on Thursday. The beta version has a build number of 13A4293f and devs can download the iOS 9 beta 3 via over-the-air, if you have installed the beta 2 on your device.
As we told you in earlier article, Eddy Cue last week promised via a Tweet that iOS 9 beta 3 will support Apple Music, i.e. the Apple’s new music streaming service which was missing in the previous beta, even after it was seeded after the launch of Apple Music.
Once you update to the latest beta, you will gain access to both on-demand streaming as well as Beats 1 radio, which are running a 3-month trial at the moment.
iOS 9 beta 3 also takes advantage of the News App that Apple revealed in WWDC 2015. This Flipboard style news curation offers variety of news from different publications, and also a curated list of news based on your interests. If you have selected US English as your language in iOS setup, only then will you see a News Icon on home-screen.
Now, instead of discussing individual apps and features, below is the complete list of new features and bug fixes made in iOS 9 beta 3 so as to get you birds-eye view on what’s new.
Some more cool changes in iOS 9 beta 3:
- Photos App now creates a separate folder for Selfies and Screenshots, which offers much better management of Photos. This is the best surprise feature in the latest beta, and driving developers’ crazy.
- The front camera works on a special facial recognition in order to understand and organize itself as Selfie.
- Apart from Selfies and Screenshots, you will also get Bursts folder, which comes really handy now.
- Russian, Turkish, and Korean QuickType keyboards require iOS 9 beta 2 or later.
- Siri is much more refined and it does not take extra seconds to interpret the voice.
- Also, when your phone is in silent/vibrate mode, Siri will no longer make sounds when activated, instead it will vibrate to give you feedbacks.
Folders in iPad
- App folder in iPad now shows a 4×4 arrangement of apps in place of 3×3 earlier, which will help in more app viewing at the same time. This change comes for the first time since the inception of iOS for iPad.
Two Factor Authentication
Tim Cook in his latest interview promised to make iCloud more secure and thus, iOS 9 beta 3 and the latest beta of OS X El Capital have entirely revamped two-factor authentication system throughout the system.
Apart from the Apple Music streaming service and Beats 1 radio access to the registered developers, there’s a new option in Settings app for Music to stream songs at the highest quality even while using cellular connection. Beware, Apple Music eats a lot of data and you will end up finishing your data plan in less than a week if you listen to music daily.
Now when you swipe down to trigger spotlight search, you can see Siri App Suggestions now being displayed. That mainly includes Photos app, Messages app, Maps app, News app and Music app, four apps at a time, depending on your Siri usage.
- Small changes have been made to the user interface of App. The mark as read/unread buttons have got a redesign and it now has more graphical and imagery artwork.
- Also, there is a progress bar in Mails app when you search for a particular email within the app. The progress bar looks similar to the one you find on YouTube.
Go to Settings > General > Battery, there is a small clock like icon next to battery usage box which will show you amount of time an app has been used and running in background.
So these were some under-the-hood changes in iOS 9 beta 3, apart from the major ones like News App, Apple Music streaming for developers, Two-factor authentication and Organized folders in Photos app.
The next iteration of beta, the iOS 9 beta 4 should come around the end of July, as Apple has a history of releasing betas with additional bug fixes every 2 weeks.